Craving for a Bombay sandwich one day, I decided to make a simple versions inspired by it.
While making this one I had only one chutney at hand and didn’t have the time to make another one.
Very easy to make, it requires you to layer your ingredients on bread and toast them. These could be anything from mashed potatoes, onions, tomatoes, grated carrots, cucumber, omelettes, leftover curries etc. What I have here is a basic version which I customize a lot based on what I have at hand.
4 slices Sandwich Bread
2 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Mint chutney
1/2 Onion (sliced into thin circles/semicircles)
1 Tomato (sliced into thin circles)
1/2 Cucumber (sliced into thin circles)
1/4 cup Spring onion (chopped)
1/2 cup Cheese (optional- used Mozzarella)
Other ingredients to consider
– Coconut/onion/carrot/coriander chutney
– Aloo (potato)/Paneer/Gobi (cauliflower) Masala (dry curries)
– Chaat Masala (for sprinkling)
– sauted Mushrooms, Zucchini
– Mashed potato with chutney mixed in for full flavor
1. Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices
2. Apply chutney on one slice
3. Layer onion, tomato and cucumber on this side
4. Place cheese slices on the other slice and sprinkle some chopped spring onion on it
5. Heat a skillet to medium heat and place both prepared slices
6. After a minute, flip the cheesy side onto the slice with the remaining ingredients and press down firmly.
Let the sandwich toast for another minute before serving.