Fluffy ragi idlis without using rice or rava (semolina).
The same batter can be used for preparing crisp ragi dosas.
2 cups ragi flour
3/4 cup Urad dal flour
2 1/2 cups water
Salt to taste
1. Mix 1 3/4 cup of water and 2 cups of ragi flour
2. Mix the remaining water with the Urad dal flour
3. Add salt and Combine both mixtures well without lumps (use a blender to get rid of the lumps if needed)
4. Leave in a warm place to ferment for 8 hours
5. The batter will rise to double it’s volume, so do make sure that you are leaving it in a vessel of the appropriate size
6. Pour the batter into greased idli moulds and steam in idli cooker (or pressure cooker without weights) for 9 minutes
7. Open and let rest for 2 minutes before serving
Serve with chutney or curried gravy.