Vanpayaru is small red bean (Red cowpeas) that resembles kidney beans, but is much smaller.
I find it hard to get the same variety where I am at, so I settle for small red beans which is similar (see picture)
1 tbsp Coconut oil
1 tsp Black Mustard seeds
10 Curry leaves
1 tbsp Dry red chilli flakes
4-5 Shallots /sambhar onion (sliced thin)
4-5 Garlic cloves (sliced thin)
1/2 cup Grated coconut
1 cup Small Red beans (Vanpayaru)
4 cups Water
Salt to taste
1. Soak the beans in water overnight.
2. Pressure cook for one whistle and drain water and set aside
3. In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves
4. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add chilli flakes, shallots and garlic and fry until the garlic is golden
5. Add the grated coconut to this and fry until light golden
6. Mix in the beans with salt to the fried mix and cook for another 5 minutes
Serve with rice or even with chappatis.
One thought on “Vanpayaru upperi”