Cut mango pickle/ achar in Kerala is it’s own version among South Indian pickles. A must in every sadhya and for many folks, a must with every meal, it is very simple to make and stores in fridge for quite long.
5 tbsp Gingelly oil
1 tsp Black Mustard seeds
4-6 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder (depending on spice level you prefer)
1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder
1.5 tsp Fenugreek seeds (crushed)
2 Green chillies (chopped)
2 tbsp Ginger (chopped)
6 cloves Garlic (chopped)
3/4 cup White vinegar
1.5 tbsp Salt
2 cups Raw Mango (diced into small pieces)
1. Heat the oil, add mustard seeds and let splutter
2. Add chopped chillies, ginger and garlic and cook until translucent
3. Remove from heat and add the Asafoetida and fenugreek. Cook for a few seconds without
4. Return to low heat and add the chilli powder. At this point the mix will look like a tick paste.
Cook on low heat until the smell of the raw powder goes away.
It takes anywhere between 7-15 minutes for this.
5. Add white vinegar and salt to this and turn heat to medium and let boil for a minute
6. Turn off heat and let it cool
7. Once the mix is completely cool, mix in the mango pieces. (You don’t want to do this while the mix is hot, the mango pieces get cooked and taste odd)
8. Bottle up (glass or ceramic) and store in fridge.
One thought on “Cut Mango pickle”