Paniyaram is a snack or breakfast item usually made with idli dosa batter. Had by itself or with chutney, it also makes for a very simple appetizer before your main course. The recipe here deviates from the usual recipes with the addition of eggs to make it even fluffier and light.
You would need a paniyaram pan or a kuzhiyappam pan as they are called in India. The same pans are used for making Takoyaki and Aebleskiver.
These are cast iron or nonstick pans with multiple little hemisphere cavities built into them.
(Dosa batter is a batter made from rice and skinless black lentils and fermented)
300 gms Dosa batter
(Recipe for homemade dosa batter)
1 Large onion-finely diced
1/2 cup Coriander leaves- chopped
4 Green chillies- finely chopped
Salt to taste
2 skewers/chopsticks/or any pair of long thin spoons
1. Combine all the ingredients well in a big vessel
2. Heat the pan with a little bit of oil in each of the hemispheres
3. Once the oil is heated up enough to sizzle when a drop of batter falls in you are ready to start pouring the batter
4. Pour batter into each of the hemispheres, filling them up to the top.
5. Leave for a minute. The batter will start to brown at the bottom
6. Using skewer or chopstick or any other long instrument, push the paniyaram forming towards one side so as to flip and form a sphere. (Insert the chopstick into the batter to touch the bottom. Now push the chopstick towards the other end. This will cause the paniyaram to glide and flip)
This might seem a bit odd at first, but you would get the hang of it soon enough.
Flipping the paniyaram on time is what let’s it form into a ball versus remaining a hemisphere.
7. Let sit for a couple of minutes
8. Now tuck in any batter remaining outside the cavity into it and turn the paniyaram and leave for a few minutes
Make sure to adjust your heat so as to not burn them
9. Turn them once more and leave for few minutes
The paniyaram would ideally be cooked into to softness and outside to a crispy but at this stage.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
(This recipe make 36 paniyarams)
One thought on “Kuzhi Paniyaram”
LikeLiked by 1 person