1 cup Idli Rice
1/2 cup Urad dal (skinless Black lentils)
3 tsp Methi dal (fenugreek seeds)
1 cup Water
Salt to taste
1/8 cup Cooked rice (adding cooked rice makes crispy dosas)
1. Was and soak the rice and Methi in one vessel and Urad dal in another
2. Let soak for 3-4 hours
3. Grind both along with cooked rice in a grinder or mixer adding a cup of water gradually along with salt (a teaspoon usually suffices)
4. You will need to grind to an almost smooth consistency where you can just see a little bit of coarseness
5. Pour into a vessel which will hold double the quantity of the batter.
6. Place in a warm location for it to ferment and rise for 8 hours/overnight
(Place it the oven with the light on if you do not have a warm place for it)
7. The batter would have almost doubled in volume by now
8. Store in fridge and use as needed
This batter can be used as is for making Idlis. Add a little bit of water and mix prior to using for Dosa.